A new year is upon us as we are about to welcome 2016. For many this is a time to really take a step back and ask themselves if they are happy with their company and their current role.
To better help you make that career decision here are a few things to ask yourself:
- Do you feel like the work you do matters? This is one of the most important factors if someone loves their job.
- Are you fairly compensated for the work you do? This does not mean you are paid the national average for your role. This has more to do with if you are paid according to the level of work you are asked to produce based on your role. I like to think of this as a stress to income level. If your job makes you super stressed out you better be making a ton of money. Money might not be an issue if the work is fun, easy and a good fit. Of course in a perfect world you make great money and find the job to be a total joy. Where are you on this scale?
- Do you like the culture of your company? Do your values match those of the company? Do your coworkers share the same values?
- Do you have anyone you consider a friend of work? Besides people feeling the work they do matters, having people you care about while you work really helps you enjoy your job.
- If you left the role/company would you want to come back? For some this is a very easy question and for others they may have to think hard about this one.
- Would you want your kids to work there? This is my number one favorite thing to ask. When Hiregy is deciding if we should take on a new client I always advise my team to ask them the question if they would want their children to someday work at that company. If the answer is yes, then they are a great company for us to help them with staffing. You should ask yourself the same question about where you work.
Enjoy the holidays, Happy New Year and I hope these questions make things clear as to evaluating whether or not 2016 will be the year for you to stay or to go try something else in your career journey.
If you're considering a new role, view our current job openings with client companies throughout Tampa and Orlando.